On June 29, 1889 the Real Estate Record & Builders’ Guide reported that architects Flemer & Koehler were working on “eight three-story and basement stone front dwellings” for developer Edward T. Smith. The announcement explained that six of the houses would be on Park Avenue and two around the corner on 94th Street. Whether the publication simply got the facts wrong, or if Smith modified his project is unclear. But the completed row on Park Avenue consisted of only five, and the other two were on 95th Street (on the block with the quaint nickname “Goat Hill”). The mirror image houses at Nos. 112 and 114 East 95th Street stood distinctly apart from their Renaissance Revival siblings. Although Flemer & Koehler started out with a Renaissance Revival canvas–rigid symmetry, rough cut stone at the basement and parlor levels, and paneled pilasters, for instance–they lavished it with extraordinary Queen Anne decorations; notably at the upper floors. Here the openings were framed with cream-colored terra cotta tiles. Each exhibiting a single leaf, their alternating large and small sizes mimicked quoins. The three bays of the second and third floors were unified by a single terra cotta cornice. The homes were crowned by pressed metal cornices with interesting friezes of regimented rows of protruding bosses.